My father is obese, and my childhood was fraught with weight worries via my mother. She didn’t want my two sisters and me to follow in our father’s unhealthy footsteps, so diets were a constant topic of discussion, and my dad’s inability to stay on one, a never-ending source of conflict.
I wanted to make darn sure I didn’t end up like my father, so naturally, I studied nutrition in college. Free from my mother’s food influence, I also started a full-blown love affair with eating. I discovered farmers’ markets, gourmet food stores and the world of culinary arts. Basically, I became a foodie.
Unfortunately, my love of food was always coupled with my fear of it. I would indulge in a decadent multi-course meal, and then survive on only bananas and lattes for the next few days to be sure I didn’t (God forbid) gain any weight. Extreme dieting and restriction (and subsequent binging) was the norm, and this cycle of indulgence and deprivation was a pervasive force in my food life for the next 10 years.
By my late twenties, my entire life was in shambles. My marriage was falling apart, my career was stagnant, my health was in shambles, and I was drinking WAY too much to hide from the pain that had become my life. I was an emotionally destructive and seriously dysfunctional mess.
At age 31, on the verge of a complete nervous breakdown, I hit the reset button on my life. My marriage ended (I left with a small bag of clothes and a huge hole in my heart), and I rebuilt my life (and myself) from the ground up. I worked hard to heal my broken self, and boy, am I glad I did. Now, it’s over 10 years later, and my life is BIGGER and better than I ever thought possible.
- I enjoy a clean-eating and food-loving life without guilt or fear (can you say, Hallelujah!).
- I have an incredibly supportive partner who I just adore (he loved me way before I loved myself).
- I explore the world (I love discovering new cultures and cuisines), I give back, and I live with deep gratitude.
- And I have a thriving career I’m passionate about (I help women build healthy lives they love, I write for top magazines, I work with Oprah’s peeps, and I’ve published several nutrition books— not too shabby!).
Is my life perfect? No way. Do I still struggle? You bet. But what I’ve learned has changed the way I live—now it can change yours, too.
This is the get-slim (and get-happy!) secret sauce—it’s the magical solution you’ve been dreaming about—and it is, truly, the only way to rid yourself of your weight issues forever.
You’ll find I’m not like other dietitians. I am a food lover AND a health nut. I don’t believe in diets or deprivation, and I think exercise should be pleasurable, not punitive. In my weight-loss world, you can have your (chocolate ganache) cake and eat it too…and still lose the weight.
My Smaller Size Bigger Life weight loss program is meant for women who are ready to make serious changes in their life. If you’re looking for a fast-fix or the latest fad diet, I can’t help you. But if you want lasting weight loss, a healthy lifestyle, and freedom from your food demons—if you’re ready to get real about your weight issues—you’re in the right place.
Women are also natural communicators, and a woman who is free from her food and weight fears, is free to spread love in the world. She is able to become more of who she really is, and to make a positive difference in the lives of others.
And believe me, this BIGGER life in a smaller size is 100% possible for you.
- Download my “Smaller size. Bigger life.” guide here. This free eBook is jam packed with resources to start you on your journey, including a Skinnytaste meal plan.
- A free 3-minute quiz based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator—a nationally renowned personality test—that will help you find your unique Diet Type. Knowing who you are is the most important information you can have when it comes to losing weight, eating healthy and changing your lifestyle forever. Are you a passionate Diet Feeler (like me!), a responsible Diet Planner, an adaptable Diet Player, or an intellectual Diet Thinker? You’re just a few clicks from finding out. Plus, you’ll receive a free guide with more information about how your personality affects the way you eat, exercise and approach weight loss.
- My blog is packed with actionable weight loss advice, personal development tools, and healthy-living inspiration.
Check it out here.